Hidden deep in the jungles of Cambodia's Angkor Archaeological Park, Preah Khan is a vast temple complex sprawling across nearly 140 acres. Built by the Khmer king Jayavarman the seventh in the late twelfth century as a monastery and center for learning, it was once the heart of a city of nearly 100,000.
The temple is still largely unrestored: the initial clearing was from 1927 to 1932, and partial anastylosis was carried out in 1939. Since then free-standing statues have been removed for safe-keeping, and there has been further consolidation and restoration work. Throughout, the conservators have attempted to balance restoration and maintenance of the wild condition in which the temple was discovered